Monday, September 15, 2014

Cleaning Your Makeup Brushes

I was recently asked what my favorite brush cleaner is.  The answer is simple but before I share my answer, or you can cheat and skip ahead, I want to give you some quick facts and tips on brush cleaning.

First of all, YES you do have to clean your makeup brushes for a few reasons:

  • When you invest in a makeup brush, you want to make sure to take care of them and get all the use you can from them.  Plus washing regularly will help keep them soft.
  • Brushes can be a breeding ground for bacteria.  Your face produces natural oils and these oils get on your brush and spread over your skin.
Secondly, if you don't spot clean your brushes during the week then be sure to clean them once a week.  Try to wash at night and let them dry overnight.  Spot cleaning means spraying the brushes after you use them and cleaning them off.  If you do this, you can skip deep cleaning once a week and just do it once a month, which is what I do.  If you don't spot clean then definitely plan on deep cleaning them one time a week. 

What I use to spot clean:  my favorite spot cleaner is Estee Lauder's Makeup Brush Cleaner.  YOu get a lot of product for only $16.50 and my bottle lasts several months.  Find this at any Estee Lauder Counter or online.




How I spot clean:  I get an old towel (which is my official makeup towel), spray the brush hairs only and swirl the brush on my makeup towel to remove product.  That's it.  NOw it's clean and ready to use.  Simple.

What I use to deep clean:  There are several things I use to deep clean.  Some of my favorites are Original Dawn Dish Soap, Baby Shampoo and The Master's Brush Cleaner and Preserver.  The best part is that they are all under $5.  YOu can find The Master's Brush Cleaner at Hobby Lobby or Michael's and use their 40% off coupon to get it under the $5 price point.  





How I deep clean:  Make sure water is lukewarm.  Get the brush hairs (only) completely wet (not the metal part).  Lather up the soap, swirl in palm of hand then rinse in water.  Gently squeeze excess water out from brush and lay on a clean towel to air dry for approximately 6-8 hours.

That's it for brush cleaning - pretty simple.  Don't let the fact that it's a long, boring chore stop you from cleaning those brushes!  Watch one of my You Tube videos (or any one of your favorite You Tubers) while you do it so you can kill some time!  ;)

Lastly, don't forget about the makeup brush handle.  Get some rubbing alcohol in a paper towel and wipe handle down.  

Leave any questions down below and share what your favorite brush cleaner is.  

XO, P




No comments:

Post a Comment