Tuesday, September 9, 2014

MUA (Makeup Artist) Series: How To Start Freelancing



Y'all know I have to put my disclaimer out there right?  Okay, so let's get it over with Prissy.

*Disclaimer:  I still have a lot to learn and I love that about what I do.  Any "advice" given is based off of my personal experiences and/or recommended by my fellow friend(s) who are also Makeup Artists.

My friend Aileen asked on my Facebook page (click here to jump over and check it out) how to start freelancing.  This is a VERY broad topic so I'm going to break down the answers between here, my You Tube Channel (click here to visit my Channel and subscribe while you're there so you don't miss any videos:) and my Facebook page.

I've decided to answer this question very generally and then talk about specifics in future posts or videos.  By the way, if there's anything YOU want to know, please ask either on here or FB.

Here's what I've learned and recommend on starting your own freelance business.

1.   HAVE A MENTOR!!! - This is number one for a reason.  I have an amazing friend who is a fellow and professional makeup artist in Chicago who has helped me SOOO much.  Without her wisdom, guidance and encouragement, I'd be lost.  So find the same.  Talk with someone who is willing to let you pick their brain.  And then...take notes!  ;)

2.   Order your business cards.  Pretty self explanatory.

3.   Sell yourself.  Tell everyone what you are venturing into and be confident about it.  No wavering on your capabilities and talent.  Word of mouth is your biggest advertisement so tell everyone you know and then ask them to keep you in mind if anyone they know needs a makeup artist.

4.   Build your kit and know that building it slowly is okay.  This is pretty extensive.  I'll have some upcoming videos on You Tube about what I generally carry then move on to favorites, must haves, etc.

5.   Practice, Practice, Practice.  This one was stressed often by my mentor and after several faces, I understood why.  Btw, I still have many faces to make over so I'm not done.  :)  As you apply makeup on different ethnicities, facial structures, skin types, preferences, etc. you learn the technique and art of applying makeup, how to deal with different personalities & settings as well as find out what you need in your kit and what isn't working.   Plus the more you practice, the more confident you will become.

6.  Advertise and Practice some more.

I know this is basic information but it's important and the foundation to getting started.  If I missed something, I will be sure to mention that in a future post.

If you're a fellow MUA, please share your advice in the comments section.  If you're not, share your thoughts, comments or questions.

XO, P

No comments:

Post a Comment